I have a low-use Domino server that I want to retire. At the same time, I want to keep some of the Domino databases active for the future to replicate with my Notes client. Again, this is low use - 2 people, possibly 3.
I have a Synology DS918+ NAS which has support for Virtual machines and for Docker. I've been considering either setting up Domino to run in a VM or possible a Docker setup. The Synology NAS
I wonder if anyone reading this blog has experience setting up a Domino Instance in a small VM or in a Docker Instance on a NAS? If so, I welcome any insights you care to share.
Hey Eric, please drop me a mail, I can share my dockerfile and some ideas with you. Small is something else ;) my Docker container is about 2.5GB without any data or user.
Palmi (): 12/07/2017 0:38:36
Am interested in this to. Any chance to share this with me ?
Eric Mack (www.ica.com): 12/07/2017 9:01:52
I will contact you by email.
Here are some of his helpful links
And, for an overview of Docker (I am still learning) I found these helpful
I have not made much progress yet as this is all new to me.
I hope this helps
Filip Navratil (): 12/11/2017 6:58:57
I have a Domino server on Synology DS1515+ running in Docker. I have not tested running in their VM. So far it is running well but the actual load is very low so who knows? Few points to note.
1) I had to build the images using the Synology docker. Building it on another machine and loading onto NAS did not work for me. I believe it was due to missing drivers in Synology version of docker and I did not want to mess with it.
2) The performance suffices but you might be disappointed with the disk access speed. I have SSD disks installed and expected way better performance. Currently it is on part with a dedicated server with SATA disks. I traced it down to AUFS drivers. Using different drivers could give better results but tinkering with Synology docker installation is beyond my expertise.
3) There are issues with access rights when using docker volumes. My solution was to ensure that there is a notes user and notes group in the main Synology NAS, then I setup notes user and notes group in the dockerised version with the same uid and gid as in the main Synology NAS. I start the domino server as the notes user, I did not test any start up scripts so it would be interesting for me to learn your experience if you go down the way of a startup script.
4) There is an issue with the docker bridge. It is not transparent and does not pass through the real IP addresses, so domino web server does not get the IP address of the requesting party. I am not sure how to address it.
5) When the domino server starts it prints some error messages that some system files are unwritable but apparently domino works despite that.
I will be glad if you share with me your progress.
Eric Mack (www.ica.com): 12/13/2017 5:36:42
Thank you for your tips, Filip. This is for a light duty backup. I would be happy to exchange tips and notes off-line. I am interested to hear what steps you used to create your docker container running Domino... Would you mind sharingf?
Discussion for this entry is now closed.